Top 10 Video Games Wrapped in the Festive Spirit of Christmas
The holiday season is an iconic theme in various media forms, including movies and music, yet video games often fly under the radar. However, boisterous Christmas mirth is not lost in the gaming world, with a variety of titles that bring the holiday season to life through immersive experiences. Let's unwrap some of the top video games that are set against the backdrop of festive cheer and assess what makes each one special.
The Escapists: Santa's Shakedown/Sweatshop
In The Escapists DLCs, 'Santa's Shakedown' and 'Santa's Sweatshop,' players trade the cozy yuletide ambiance for a gripping escape plan from Santa's not-so-jolly workshop. These add-on experiences uphold the meticulous item-gathering and puzzle-solving gameplay that fans adore, imbuing them with holiday-themed mechanisms to engineer a great escape. The mood is whimsically in contrast with the bright season, offering a unique take on Christmas in gaming.
- Pros: Engaging puzzles and fresh holiday themes retain the charm and challenge of the original games.
- Cons: It may not fit the traditional cozy Christmas vibe some players seek.
Tom Clancy’s The Division
While Tom Clancy’s The Division is set during the aftermath of a societal breakdown, its Christmas setting provides a stunning aesthetic. The juxtaposition of holiday decorations against the backdrop of chaos creates an atmosphere filled with both tension and remnants of joy. This MMO can be tackled solo or with friends, and its less intrusive monetization compared to other MMOs is a welcome feature.
- Pros: Beautiful holiday scenery coupled with intense gameplay, flexible playstyle for solo or coop, and mild monetization.
- Cons: The Christmastime setting is more decorative than functional to the storyline.
Alone in The Dark 2
The seminal horror series Alone in The Dark continues with its holiday-themed sequel, where players solve a mystery in a spooky mansion during Christmas. The promotional side-project 'Jack in the Dark' adds to the experience, balancing terror with a dash of campy holiday spirits. For fans of horror with a touch of holiday whimsy, it's a memorable venture.
- Pros: Strong horror elements combined with Christmas themes, nostalgic for fans of the franchise.
- Cons: The Christmas element is more of an unsettling backdrop than a central theme.
Bully - Chapter Three
Bully is another of Rockstar's ingenious creations where the player navigates a school year, with chapter three celebrating winter and its festivities. As snow blankets the school grounds and holiday decorations take the spotlight, players experience a different side of the prep school drama. Though not exclusively a Christmas game, it's a brilliant segment that captures the holiday vibe.
- Pros: Transformative game world reflects a realistic holiday season engaging storyline.
- Cons: The Christmas-themed gameplay is limited to just one chapter.
Home Alone has seen several adaptations into video games, each allowing players to embody Kevin McCallister in his iconic house during the Christmas holidays. The game cleverly incorporates elements from the movies, although these titles are now relatively obscure and hard to access.
- Pros: Faithful to the movie's spirit, appeals to nostalgia and fans of the classic film.
- Cons: Dated graphics and mechanics are not easily accessible on modern systems.
Batman: Arkham Origins
A darker take on the holidays comes with Batman: Arkham Origins, set on Christmas Eve in a snow-draped Gotham City. The festive decorations provide a gothic contrast to Batman's harrowing encounters with villains. This entry might be divisive among fans, but its winter wonderland setting creates a mood that can't be ignored during the holiday season.
- Pros: Intriguing Christmas Eve setting, the visual splendor of Gotham in snow.
- Cons: Different developer involvement has led to mixed receptions compared to other Arkham games.
In Bayonetta 2, gamers get to enjoy a stylish, action-packed adventure taking place almost entirely on Christmas. With high-paced combat and a Santa-themed Rodin providing weapons, the game flourishes with holiday spirit amid the frenetic action sequences. Its Wii U exclusivity might have initially limited its reach, but it's an experience enriched with Christmas flair.
- Pros: Dynamic action and a vivid Christmas setting, unique holiday character appearances.
- Cons: Platform exclusivity may limit player access.
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales
With Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, players swing through a wintry New York City decked out in holiday finery as the new Spider-Man. The frosty environment in combination with the Christmas decor provides a visually festive stage for this action-packed, heroic tale.
- Pros: Immersive Christmas environment, a continuation of a critically acclaimed series.
- Cons: Shorter and less content-rich than its predecessor.
Dead Rising 4
Dead Rising 4 turns a conventional Christmas on its head with a zombie outbreak amidst merriment. Utilizing holiday decorations as weapons adds a twisted sense of humor to the gameplay, accompanied by an oddly fitting Christmas soundtrack.
- Pros: Holiday decoration as weapons injects humor, and Christmas music enhances the gameplay.
- Cons: The unconventional portrayal of Christmas might not be to everyone's liking.
Duke Nukem: Nuclear Winter
Adding a dose of holiday chaos to the mix, Duke Nukem: Nuclear Winter throws Duke into a series of Christmassy combat scenarios. The 1997 expansion for Duke Nukem 3D showcases alien-fighting action amidst a North Pole invasion, complete with festive foes.
- Pros: Combines Christmas themes with classic shooter gameplay and entertaining enemy designs.
- Cons: It may not resonate with gamers unfamiliar with the older Duke Nukem titles.
While these games offer a vast array of holiday cheer, one title stands out based on widespread player reception: Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales. The combination of an open-world New York City draped in snow and festive decoration, along with the compelling narrative and dynamic gameplay, has struck a chord with players. The game beautifully captures the essence of Christmas, making it not just a seasonal favorite, but a memorable experience year-round.
Whether you're looking to embrace the spirit of the season or simply enjoy a quality gaming experience with a dash of yuletide gaiety, these Christmas-themed video games offer a holiday package that's sure to delight any gamer.